The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Monday, May 18, 2009

A Weekly Review - Week of May 10th

Pick Your Poison 50K ended in disaster. Due to very heavy rains and really greasy trail conditions, more than 50% of the starting field DNF'd, including me. I will go into this some more once I draft a race report. The past week was spent basically trying to keep loose and focusing on the tapering task at hand.

Sunday, May 12th
After picking up my new trail running shoes from Running Free, I ventured over to Kula for my Ashtanga Primary class. It has been more than a month since I did the last class and I was feeling tight in a few spots. I'm hoping to regulate my yoga practise. With the discipline that I have been developing over the last few months, that should not be a problem. The rest of my Sunday was spent running errands and spending time with my mother as it was Mother's Day.

Monday, May 13th
The train was late getting me home due to a police investigation that forced a temporary suspension of railway traffic. Luckily, I was not too late to grab my gear and head over to the gym for my weekly pool running session. One hour went by real quickly as usual...

Tuesday, May 14th
I got to lace up my new trail shoes and test it out on a 5 mile walk in the neighbourhood with the dog. I absolutely love Brooks Adrenaline ASR. They molded to my feet as if I always had them. The walk/jog was also very brisk and satisfying.

Wednesday, May 15th
Headed over to the gym and tested my new trail shoes out for a short 5K loop. It was lightly raining out but quite refreshing all the same. I have been developing confidence over the upcoming race and have also been able to put Pick Your Poison into perspective.

I was supposed to do a night hike with Kinga, Stephan, and some of the other Sulphur gang on Friday night, but it never happened. Kinga had to work on Saturday morning, and Stephan was having minor calf problems. This weekend was also pretty hectic for all of us so we will all go into next week's race with no night training. This is fine for me because of my experience doing the Dirty Girls 24H race last summer. Also, as I see it, I will benefit with a lot more rest. Kinga is a little nervous but I'm sure she will do great.

We're down to less than a week and the anticipation is building... I can hardly wait to see my ultra-amazing friends again, and will miss those who cannot join us in the bush.

1 comment:

  1. I will be cheering you on! Have a great time! A big "Hello" to Fred and Greg for me.

    Stacey
    xo

    ReplyDelete