The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Utthita Hasta Padangusthastana - A Posture Analysed


Utthita Hasta Padangusthastana - Pronounced Oot-Hee-Ta Haa-Sta Pad-An-Goost-Aa-Saa-Naa

I had lots of fun trying to pronounce this Sanskrit phrase for the Standing Leg Raise (Extended Hand to Foot). It was even funnier when Kinndli imitated her colleague with the Scottish accent who actually uses this phrase in Sanskrit during his classes. Since then, this has been stuck in my head...
Utthita Hasta Padangusthastana
Utthita Hasta Padangusthastana
Utthita Hasta Padangusthastana
Quite the tongue twister when said aloud and fast... hehe...

We had to analyse this posture during our Teacher Training session this past weekend.

The principle of this posture is as follows:
This powerful weight-bearing pose tones and hones the entire stinding leg. It also stretches the back side of the raised leg and the muscles between the shoulder blades. (Baron Baptiste from the book, Journey into Power).
When the extended leg is opened out to the side, there is a powerful force in opening and strengthening the hip and pelvic muscles.

This posture can be modified by working with the knee bend at a 90-degree angle with the hand on the knee. Alternatively, a strap can be used to catch the foot.

Upon looking at the photo above, my alignment is actually a little off. For one thing, I was balancing on a post. For another, I was having sheer fun with this one. My knee on the extended leg was slightly bent. On level ground, this can occur for people with tight hamstrings and hips. The standing leg was actually quite engaged - possibly due to the fact that I had to maintain the balance on the post. The hips are to be level for the posture, and the tailbone is to be tucked under. I think it was off for me... The shoulders should have actually been lower with the scapula gliding down the back.

Personally, I used to be challenged by this posture. Everytime we came to this posture during Ashtanga classes, I used to have this look of dread on my face. After Grant gave me a few tips on how to get the full expression for this posture, I started doing it with a little more ease. When I finally stopped trying so hard, it finally came to me. Sometimes, I have even modified this posture if I just could not find the balance in the full expression.

I shall close this post with the Spiritual Focus for this posture, as taken from the Journey Into Power book:
One of the principles of yoga is not to seek the fruits of your actions. Practice for its own sake, without regard to success or failure. This is the way to equanimity.
Namaste...

No comments:

Post a Comment