The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Monday, March 15, 2010

Beast of Burden Winter 24H - A Belated Report


On February 27th, three of us decided to brave the elements and do a really long run... We decided to test our wits and entered the Beast of Burden Winter 24H Ultramarathon in Lockport, NY.

It all started around Christmas time when I was poking around online looking for a 24H run that was affordable, and fairly local (driving distance). The site for this race was published on one of the ultramarathon race calendars and I quickly checked it out. Of course, there were concerns - time of year was the major factor, followed by the fact that Lockport is just outside of Buffalo - a major snowbelt region that was getting hammered by lots of snowstorms. I then contacted Fred Davis on Christmas morning and got him to check it out. When I checked the online registrants on Boxing Day, I realised he had signed up. I then felt that I was on the hook for signing up so I took advantage of the early bird cut off and signed up as well. The registrant limit was pretty low but the race director, Sam Pasceri, was generous and a new cap of 50 runners was established. Two weeks before the race, Charlotte emailed Fred and I to let us know that she was considering coming out for the race as well. She was sitting on the fence for a couple of days before finally taking the plunge and signing up. With arrangements for accommodation made, we all proceeded to psych ourselves up for the event, especially when Sam kept emailing us to provide race updates.

Charlotte and I drove down to Lockport together and met up with Fred and Flo at the hotel. The drive was quite trying as there was a major storm system in progress. Still, we arrived safely and we were happy to see Fred and Flo. They were there since Wednesday and got a suite that was really spacious for the four of us and all our gear. We then got busy preparing drop bags and clothing before heading off to the race briefing at Taboo Bar and Grill.

When we arrived at Taboo, we were enthusiastically greeted by Sam. Charlotte was wisked off to the corner to do a pre-race interview. Fred and I got our race kits and mingled until Charlotte got her kit and we got something to eat. The race kit was totally loaded. We got lots of product samples in a drawstring bag including 18H hand warmers, a blinking light, and a copy of Trailrunner and Ultrarunning magazines. Each racer also got two shirts - a fitted Nike mid-weight long-sleeved shirt, and a cotton t-shirt. There was a table with an assortment of prizes - first come, first served. I got myself a pair of Injinji toe socks from this table. On another table, one of the sponsors, Runner's Remedy, had an assortment of items. Each runner got a complimentary Strassburg sock plus their choice of one of the compression remedies complete with an ice pack. I had trouble choosing between the shin wrap and the arch wrap so I was treated to one of each. Once the briefing was done and we finished eating, we got ready to head back to the hotel. Before we left, Charlotte and I spoke with some of the runners, including Charlie Engle. I immediately took a liking to Charlie. I have heard of his adventures through the Sahara and Badwater. Seeing him in person doing a winter 100M was something else. One of the volunteers also introduced herself to us and looked at me in shock (perceived by me as disbelief) and awe when I confirmed that I was running the 24H. I did not know how to take her reaction so I pretty much has a reaction of my own - I vowed to show her what I can do.

Arriving back at the hotel, we continued to organise our gear before heading off to bed. There were a lot of last minute decisions made, such as what to start off with, how many times I would have to change, and how much fluids to carry for the 12 mile trek to the turnaround. I finally drifted off to sleep, satisfied that I was somewhat organised this time around.

The next morning, we were up at 4h30. After getting ready and ensuring that our gear was in order, we got into the van and made our way to the marina where the start/finish line was. Upon arriving, we got our drop bags over to the designated areas and mingled with the other runners before the start of the race. After receiving last minute instructions from Sam, who was running the 100 miler, we lined up at the start and we set off once given the signal.

It took me awhile to settle in and find my pace for the first 12 miles of the race. I had a headache coming on and I was feeling a little stiff. I was a little panicked for a bit. After taking an ibuprofen tablet 6.5 miles in and walking for a bit, I started feeling better and started running again. When we got into Middleport, where we turned around at the fire hall, the cowbells were going like crazy and we were being cheered on by the volunteers, spectators, and crew. After getting something to eat and turning around, I immediately made my way to the van where Flo was and grabbed my mp3 player for the trip back. My pace was now set and I was determined to stick to that pace as long as possible. For much of the run, I was alone. Occasionally, I would run with Fred for a bit before pulling away and running on my own. Throughout the race, I could not help but picture Kinga and Stephan running this race. For some reason, I could picture them on this course... When I mentioned it to Charlotte after the race, she agreed that this race has their name all over it.

After completing the first loop, I immediately changed my shirt and jacket. For much of that loop, there was wet snow falling and I was getting wet. There was a dryer service at the fire hall so I sent my stuff with Flo so that they can be dried for my arrival up there. Feeling a little more comfortable, I fuelled up and made my way back on the course for the second loop. I kept up a steady tempo all the way to Middleport, remembering the landmarks that I have passed - the obstacle course close to the start/finish, the locks, the mile markers on the towpath, Gasport and the aid station, the arrival at Middleport, and the bridge to the fire hall... Since I was totally alone for much of it, I was grateful for the music I had. I also greeted the lead runners, including Charlie and Charlotte as they were heading back the other direction.

Upon arriving at the fire hall, my jacket was dried and I switched out of the one I was temporarily wearing. I also changed my socks because the first pair was soaked. Sitting down and bending over helped to release the knot in my back and I was running more freely afterwards. A wonderful thing happened at this point. One of the volunteers came up to me and told me that she was going to run with me back to Lockport as my pacer. I was grateful for the company, that's for sure. After grabbing my lights and fuelling up, Melanie and I were on our way. We did not talk much for the 12 mile trip back, unless we were taking a walk break. We both had our music on too. I was still grateful for the fact that I would not have to be lonely for the trek back. We finally made it to the start/finish - the completion of 50 miles in just under 14 hours. Ten hours to go for the 24 hour...

My feet were starting to get hot spots. When my socks came off, my feet were so badly wrinkled that I had to warm them up before putting on some padding on the feet. The volunteers were wonderful. The tossed my socks, jacket, mittens, hat, and shoes in the dryer while I rested up and took care of my feet. I spent close to an hour taking care of the feet and fuelling up before heading out again. When I went looking for my pacer, I found out that she was driven back to Middleport. Now, why didn't she tell me this? I did tell her I was going to take care of my feet and head back out. My goal for the race was 75M minimum and I still had lots of time to pull it off. Andy came to the rescue and took me out on the course shortly after he got ready.

Andy and I knew each other from a couple years ago when he did his first 50 miler at Sulphur Springs. He was running with Stacey, who was also doing her first 50 miler, and I was running with Fred who was doing the 100 miler at the time. They caught up to us, liked our conversation, and decided to join in. We all had a great time together as we ran along until Andy decided to fall back because he was not feeling too good. Stacey stuck with Fred and I for the remainder of our 50 miler. She finished with a time less than three hours from her goal time of 14 hours with a time of 11 hours and 35 minutes under our influence. Andy and I enjoyed catching up with each other over what has been happening. He mentioned doing ENDURun each summer too. We kept up the conversation until he received a phone call indicating that there was a runner in distress. It turned out to be Charlotte, who had started to get cold. We kept an eye out for her until we saw her coming. By that time, I caught up to Fred who had left before I did. Once we spotted Charlotte, Andy turned around and ran with her back to the start/finish.

I ran with Fred for a few minutes. Fred indicated that he was going to stop after 62 miles. He was starting to slow down and was not fuelling properly. I ran ahead to the Gasport aid station. I was starting to stagger on the towpath and that was my signal to take a nap. As soon as I got there, I went into the trailer and had one of the volunteers wake me up after ten minutes. After being woken up, I used the washroom, had some lentil soup, and made my way up to Middleport. The snow had stopped and the sky cleared for a couple of minutes. I took the time to stop and admire the full moon that was beaming down. I also did a few back bends and stretches to loosen up before it clouded over again. Except for a few of the runners heading back, I was totally alone. Just as I got to Middleport, Charlie caught up to me. He had 12 miles to go before finishing the 100M. He put his arm around me and gave me some pep talk to live by. His sightings on the towpath for much of the race was definitely a bright spot for me. He always had a witty remark, or an encouraging word or two to share.

I got to the fire hall in Middleport and was greeted wildly by the volunteers stationed there. It turns out that I was one of two females standing. Except for Charlotte and I, all the other women in both the 24H and the 100 miler had dropped. I looked at my watch and calculated the time I had to leave to get to the start/finish line before the end of the race. I then asked for a spot to nap for 20 minutes. After being awoken, I was given some broth with orders delivered to me on behalf of Charlie to drink it. The volunteers told me that while I was sleeping, five other runners came in. They also let me know that Charlotte was on her way to Middleport and she was with two pacers. Another runner was on the next cot and we talked for a few minutes before I left. I saw Fred and Flo in the van and quickly let them know that I was bringing it home for the last 12 miles and to please collect my drop bag on the way out of Middleport.

I left Middleport for the final time and set off on the towpath. It was snowing lightly but at least it was not as wet as it was earlier on in the race. I was determined to stick to my time goal and make it to the start/finish before time was up. It was tough for a bit but I kept going. I met up with Charlotte and the two pacers a few miles later. Charlotte was happy to send one of them off with me and stick to one pacer. I later became acquainted with Steve for the remainder of the race. We talked about our running history and backgrounds. He mentioned that he will be doing his first ultra in April. We got to Gasport right on time and left right on time, after using the washroom and eating lentil soup for the last time.

We pushed it for the last 6.5 miles of the race. We also welcomed twilight, and then sunrise through the overcast clouds. I ended up slowing down some because with sunrise, my body ends up having an awakening of its own. After settling it down with a couple pit stops and some ginger candy, we were off again. We ran most and walked some. We had a clock to beat and I wanted to do it comfortably. When we saw the marina across the canal, there was some fanfare as they saw me heading towards the bridge that we had to cross before bringing it home. I picked up the pace with Steve encouraging me the entire way. Once the bridge was crossed, there was no stopping me. I picked up the pace and walked where necessary. Once I saw the banner, I ran with no mercy, using up all I had to cross. I made it, with less than 6 minutes to spare. 75 miles... My goal come true!

I immediately went into the building to get warmed up and have something hot to drink. I spent awhile in there gathering my wits about me. I inquired about Charlie's whereabouts. He left for Sam's place not too long before I got there. I guess he had to be packed and at the airport for the flight home. I inquired about the drop rate. Pretty high for the 100M and most of the 24H runners decided to do the minimum required for a belt buckle - 50M. I inquired about Charlotte. She had tried to make it to Gasport after leaving Middleport. Her case of hypothermia was so bad that they had to send someone out to pick her and her pacer up at one of the overpasses. She was in rough shape and it took a long time before she was close to being herself.

After getting our belt buckles, we all headed back to the hotel. I immediately thought of eating real food when I found out about the breakfast buffet. While I was still wired, I quickly showered, got dressed, and headed downstairs for some food. Once that was finished, I headed back upstairs and chatted with Flo before falling asleep. After Charlotte woke up, we wandered into the lobby and saw Fred sleeping in the whirlpool. He was gone by the time we finished in the lounge so we went back upstairs.

Back in our room, we started packing our things while watching the Gold Medal Hockey Game between Canada and the US. It was a really exciting game - right down to Sydney Crosby scoring the overtime goal to secure Canada's victory. We had some supper before Charlotte and I headed home. The drive home was rough because we were both feeling really tired. However, we made it home safely.

Our take of the race was this - It is a lot harder to recover from a demanding winter race like this one. We all had a good time and did not regret doing this race, even though the night was not fun. This experience will most like put all the other summer ultras into perspective. The organisation of this event was over the top, and the support from crews and volunteers were highly exceptional. In fact, after getting paced without having to look too far for support, I made a remark that every ultrarunner should be required to pace another runner at least once to appreciate ultrarunning fully.

For me, my recovery was really rough. Since the race, I was plagued with lack of energy, brought on by a minor strain of the head cold that has been going around. I forced myself to consume extra calories for some extra resistance. I also ended up sleeping a lot more too. I am now resuming my running at an easier tempo for the time being. I will be evaluating where I am by Easter weekend and determining whether or not to forge ahead for the Sulphur Springs 100M run at the end of May.

Results can be found here (http://score-this.com/2010races/run/022710BoBResults.pdf)

Media coverage
Buffalo News
Examiner.com

Please enjoy the video presentation put together by the photographers who were on site.


No comments:

Post a Comment