This post serves to be a cautionary tale at best. I will never say that I am perfect but one thing that I realised is that I do have to rein myself in at times.
The past few weeks were great weeks where training was concerned. I was doing quite a bit of crosstraining so that I could start to wind down from the ultrarunning season and recover so that I can approach the winter training feeling refreshed.
After Thanksgiving weekend, I did five days of Moksha Yoga with my colleague, Geeta. She wanted to start doing hot yoga and she needed motivation. When we went to the Moksha Yoga Downtown studio to register, we were informed that the 30 Day Challenge was starting right after Thanksgiving Day. Perfect! Geeta signed up and I purchased the introductory pass which gave me seven days of unlimited yoga. I was already familiar with the Moksha Yoga routine so it almost felt like a homecoming for me. The first few days, Geeta did struggle but she reported to me that it is all starting to get easier for her. She was definitely grateful for the headstart that I have given her. To keep her going - if she chooses to stay at that studio - I will join her once a week. For now, walking her to the door after work is working out really well - she gets to class, and I actually finish and leave work on time, freeing me up for my other activities.
After the final race of the OUS season, I set out to do more Crossfit workouts as part of my crosstraining.
October 20 - I was on the computer at work just before leaving. I knew I had to find me a good Crossfit workout to start the fix. I settled for the 50 Series...
This workout was modified. I broke it down into two sets of 25 reps. I also reduced the weight of the dumbell I was using because I decided to do those swings while balancing on the Bosu. It definitely added to the core workout because of the balancing component.
October 21 - "Fran" called and I answered! She delivered a powerful charge to the workout and I was really feeling it afterwards...
October 28 - I got home from work and headed straight for the gym. I really wanted to run because the air was so fresh and the temperature was mild. I first worried about overheating when I set out but about halfway through the run, I realised why I didn't have to worry about it - it started drizzling. The drizzle would have chilled me if I didn't use my jacket. Because of the fact that I had a coat and hat on, I was actually quite comfortable out there. I didn't venture to go as fast as Mike did on his run that same night but I was ok with the steady pace I had when I ran the 8K route I had picked out. After returning to the gym, I got to work on the routine I picked out from the Crossfit.com site...
Going home that night, I applied weight and pressure to it by carrying stuff. I also used that wrist to open a new jar of almond butter. I felt it then... In the wee hours of the morning, the entire hand was stiff and sore and I had to take a painkiller.
I visited the doctor on Friday night. He diagnosed it as a sprain. I was then sent for x-rays to rule out any serious damage. I will find out the results later on this coming week... Right now, I am wearing a splint to keep the wrist stable. While I have gained mobility and much of the swelling has gone down, there is still some tenderness when pressure is placed on it, or when pulling heavy objects like doors. The splint is definitely making a difference where tasks like driving are concerned. Not only is it keeping the wrist stable, it is also acting as a shock absorber. The doctor estimates that this sprain will take around 10 days to heal...

An injury that limits your activities really puts things into perspective, that's for sure... In fact, I just figured out that I am more left-handed than I think, even though my right hand is used for most common tasks such as writing and eating. I guess this period of recovery should be a period of active rest where workouts are concerned. I am now looking to find workouts that do not require too much wrist action for the next little while until I get it strengthened once it is healed. Bright side - I can still run :-)
The past few weeks were great weeks where training was concerned. I was doing quite a bit of crosstraining so that I could start to wind down from the ultrarunning season and recover so that I can approach the winter training feeling refreshed.
After Thanksgiving weekend, I did five days of Moksha Yoga with my colleague, Geeta. She wanted to start doing hot yoga and she needed motivation. When we went to the Moksha Yoga Downtown studio to register, we were informed that the 30 Day Challenge was starting right after Thanksgiving Day. Perfect! Geeta signed up and I purchased the introductory pass which gave me seven days of unlimited yoga. I was already familiar with the Moksha Yoga routine so it almost felt like a homecoming for me. The first few days, Geeta did struggle but she reported to me that it is all starting to get easier for her. She was definitely grateful for the headstart that I have given her. To keep her going - if she chooses to stay at that studio - I will join her once a week. For now, walking her to the door after work is working out really well - she gets to class, and I actually finish and leave work on time, freeing me up for my other activities.
After the final race of the OUS season, I set out to do more Crossfit workouts as part of my crosstraining.
October 20 - I was on the computer at work just before leaving. I knew I had to find me a good Crossfit workout to start the fix. I settled for the 50 Series...
- 50 - Kettlebells
- 50 - Sit Ups
- 50 - Squats
October 21 - "Fran" called and I answered! She delivered a powerful charge to the workout and I was really feeling it afterwards...
- Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of:
- 95 pound Thruster - this was modified where my first round was only with the 45 pound bar and the last two rounds had an additional 20 pounds of weight added to the bar.
- Pull-ups
I decided to modify this and just do five sets. I also only did 75# for the maximum weight. Now, for the front squats I did the first set with the 45# bar unloaded. What I failed to do was set the stand so that the bar can be chest level. On the second round, I loaded the weight, and did the front squat with no incident. Problems started happening when I attempted to adjust the height and tried to lower the bar to adjust the pins on the stand without taking off the weight. Somewhere along the way, my left wrist was overextended backwards. I didn't feel any pain. What I felt was that urge to release a knot in my wrist. I shook out my wrist and did rotations to keep it moving and completed the entire workout...
- 10 Pullups10
- Front Squats 135#/95#
- 10 Burpees
As many rounds as possible in 12 minutes.
Going home that night, I applied weight and pressure to it by carrying stuff. I also used that wrist to open a new jar of almond butter. I felt it then... In the wee hours of the morning, the entire hand was stiff and sore and I had to take a painkiller.
I visited the doctor on Friday night. He diagnosed it as a sprain. I was then sent for x-rays to rule out any serious damage. I will find out the results later on this coming week... Right now, I am wearing a splint to keep the wrist stable. While I have gained mobility and much of the swelling has gone down, there is still some tenderness when pressure is placed on it, or when pulling heavy objects like doors. The splint is definitely making a difference where tasks like driving are concerned. Not only is it keeping the wrist stable, it is also acting as a shock absorber. The doctor estimates that this sprain will take around 10 days to heal...

An injury that limits your activities really puts things into perspective, that's for sure... In fact, I just figured out that I am more left-handed than I think, even though my right hand is used for most common tasks such as writing and eating. I guess this period of recovery should be a period of active rest where workouts are concerned. I am now looking to find workouts that do not require too much wrist action for the next little while until I get it strengthened once it is healed. Bright side - I can still run :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment