The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Monday, April 27, 2009

My Visit to Element CrossFit

After leaving the office last Thursday, I had to take a different route home. My car had unexpectedly broken down the day before and I had to get it repaired. The detour was taken because I was on my way to pick it up.

After getting off the train, I decided not to call for a shuttle ride. I also decided not to take the transit. I decided to work my walking legs and walk to the garage. The total distance was 4 miles. Because I had to pass a major highway on the northbound trek, I had to detour through the neighbourhood westwards before connecting with a street that passed over the highway. The wind was blowing, the backpack was heavy, and the sun was shining. As I was walking in the vicinity of Kula Yoga, I realised that I would be missing Ashtanga class. However, I had another idea...

I remembered locating a local Crossfit gym in the area. Element CrossFit is the name. After picking up the car, I decided to visit the facility to see what it was all about. Although I read about the set up of a typical Crossfit gym on the website, I was still not prepared for what I saw when I got there...

The gym was not like the standard gym at all. It was almost like a playground. There were absolutely no machines, only free weights and bars for pull ups with an option to use resistance bands for assistance. They had boxes for jumping, rings for pull ups and push ups, medicine balls, Concept 2 rowers, and other types of apparatus that are useful to any exercise routine. The best thing they had were tyres - tractor tyres that is. The tractor tyres are used for flipping during a Crossfit session. Out the back door, there is a long driveway for running intervals as well as a measured loop that takes you for a mile. The gym is in a warehouse but it does not seem that way at all. The environment was very friendly, welcoming, and motivating. I was grateful for the time I spent there observing the workouts. In fact, I wish I had my gym clothes with me because I actually felt motivated to work out. Speaking to some of the others there, They were more than willing to share stories about what drew them to Crossfit and why they keep coming back. Rachael, one of the trainers, even referred me to Crossfit Endurance for workouts that would help me with my running.

I left the gym promising to return and try a workout. When I got home, I met with my brother and convinced him to come with me on the next visit to try a workout set. He has taken the bait and we will hopefully get to visit tomorrow evening.

I'm slowly getting psyched now...

No comments:

Post a Comment