Hill Series five of six was this morning. This time, we did 14 hill segments. My morning got off to a late start. While I had no problem rolling out of bed this morning, there were a couple things that delayed my departure.
I was late hitting the road and arrived at the meeting spot around 8h15. After getting my stuff together and using the washroom, I set out for the Hogg's Hollow Hills. It was quite cold outside with windchills reaching -18C this morning. The thing that helped the most was the fact that it was quite sunny out.
At the beginning of the run, my feet felt like two frozen blocks. Once the blood was flowing and the feet were thawed out, I was cruising. It was quite amazing to notice that the hills seemed to be getting easier. This time, I did not attacked the hills aggressively. I basically took them as they came and modified my speed accordingly. I even walked some of the uphills at times.
Towards the end of the run, I caught up to Howard. Howard came out and walked all 14 segments. I decided to do the last couple of hills with him and not blow by him. We had a nice chat as we finished up the workout. He indicated that he has not been running as much as he normally would because the motivation has not been there for him. We have all been there - on the path where motivation has not been on our side. However, we learn to attack it head-on. Howie could have stayed home and played with his dog and go for a really short run because of his lack of motivation. Instead, he came out and played with us. I think Howie will bounce back really soon and have a wonderful season.
As I was cruising up and down those hills and acknowledging the other runners out there, I could not help but think about the reason why I did what I did - suck it up and start late instead of retreating to the gym.
That's right, I did it for me. For me, running has been a tangible way for me to achieve goals. What I learn through running can also be applied to other areas of my life. Lessons learned from yoga can also be applied to other areas of my life, but in different ways.
Looking forward to more playtime very soon...
I was late hitting the road and arrived at the meeting spot around 8h15. After getting my stuff together and using the washroom, I set out for the Hogg's Hollow Hills. It was quite cold outside with windchills reaching -18C this morning. The thing that helped the most was the fact that it was quite sunny out.
At the beginning of the run, my feet felt like two frozen blocks. Once the blood was flowing and the feet were thawed out, I was cruising. It was quite amazing to notice that the hills seemed to be getting easier. This time, I did not attacked the hills aggressively. I basically took them as they came and modified my speed accordingly. I even walked some of the uphills at times.
Towards the end of the run, I caught up to Howard. Howard came out and walked all 14 segments. I decided to do the last couple of hills with him and not blow by him. We had a nice chat as we finished up the workout. He indicated that he has not been running as much as he normally would because the motivation has not been there for him. We have all been there - on the path where motivation has not been on our side. However, we learn to attack it head-on. Howie could have stayed home and played with his dog and go for a really short run because of his lack of motivation. Instead, he came out and played with us. I think Howie will bounce back really soon and have a wonderful season.
As I was cruising up and down those hills and acknowledging the other runners out there, I could not help but think about the reason why I did what I did - suck it up and start late instead of retreating to the gym.
- I did it because of all the other runners - my friends - out there who also chose to suit up and tackle the same cold I ran through.
- I did it because of the goals that we have all set for ourselves earlier this year.
- I did it for all the people who can't.
- I did it because of my love for the outdoors (although I had to settle for roads in lieu of trails for much of the winter).
- I did it for my love of health and wellness.
- I did it for me...
That's right, I did it for me. For me, running has been a tangible way for me to achieve goals. What I learn through running can also be applied to other areas of my life. Lessons learned from yoga can also be applied to other areas of my life, but in different ways.
Looking forward to more playtime very soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment