While spring may have sprung, it sure has not felt that way. In the first month of this season, we have seen our share of rain, snow, cold, and a teasing of mild air - including that one day which saw me race home after work and pull out my sandals from the closet to wear for the evening.
So, as the spring progresses, I naturally gravitate towards my objective of more fitness. I think of the outdoor activities that I truly enjoy, wishing I could participate fully at this point...
My update to my health and wellness? Things seem to be going as well as it could. The problem that I face is that more than a year of living with a weakened immune system that has left me with more than my share of illnesses has taken a toll on my overall fitness. Add the extra caution I now have to take (physically) after that little fender-bender, and you can now only imagine my frustration. I do, however, offer gratitude to my alternative health care professionals that I have sought help from over the past year for helping me to get on the right track through supplements, physical treatments, and advice on how to ease back in.
After working on strengthening my balance through adjustments and exercises, my chiropractor has now given me to go ahead to start running again. However, I have to monitor my balance at all times, and not start off too fast or too long in the beginning. There's a ray of hope there! My goal is to run an ultra (or two) by mid-summer, early fall. I shall keep this goal on my radar as I build up.
So what am I doing now? I am committing to keeping on top of my yoga practise. The minimum number of practises will be three per week but I do hope to be back to doing five or six practises a week. For cardio, I have taken up swimming again. After letting go of the YMCA due to constraints with time, and the increased expense, I have decided to leverage the community centre for my aquatic needs. During the lane swim times, I have the option of swimming continuous laps, or strapping on an aqua belt and running in the slow lane of the pool. I went to the community centre on Thursday night for this and was pleased with what I got out of the whole hour. Lap swimming wasn't in my favour but the aqua running really spoke to me. I can nicely split the time between the two and get an awesome workout from this. As for strength training, there is an advantage to teaching yoga at a gym. I am committed to doing at least half an hour of strength training at the gym before, or after I teach. I am also taking the time to do the things I like such as hiking, and walking as part of my daily commute each day.
While all of those plans are quite doable, I am also to be mindful of the amount of rest I get. To address that, I have now imposed a new rule during the week. After 21h00 on a weeknight, this computer will turn into a pumpkin. No staring at the screen anytime after that unless there is an emergency, or something urgent that requires me to use it. After two weeks, I am pleased to see the results firsthand. I found that by turning off the computer, I am more likely to be organised for the next day. My shake is prepared, lunch is packed, and my clothes are laid out within an hour. This gives me time to either read, knit, or simply fall asleep. As for the phone, I still make use of it but it not as bad as sitting in front of this screen reading something that is not fulfilling or enriching. when I do wake up, I find that I wake up in a better state than when I went to bed. I do acknowledge that the pumpkin rule may mean no time for the computer during the week but, that's what weekends are for.
So there you have it, an update from me. I am looking forward to a fresh new start in my pursuit for healthy living. The events of the past are part of the past and I have learned from them. Time to move on!
To Your Health!
No comments:
Post a Comment