The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wrapping Up 2009 and Bringing in the New Year - A Weekly Review

2009 has come to an end and a new decade has arrived. I managed to wrap up the year on a strong note in anticipation for the upcoming months of training and racing ahead of me.

Monday, December 28th
saw me playing at Power Yoga Canada for the first time. I have pretty much summed up how much I loved playing on my mat that night in the previous post.

Tuesday, December 29th
I went over to the gym to get some Crossfit in. After running 2.5 miles on the treadmill, I worked on the WOD of the night.
Deadlift
5-5-5-5-5

then

1,000m Row

It was a great workout overall and I eased into it with no great expectations. Trouble happened after I left the gym when I discovered an act of vandalism that had me filing a police report...

Wednesday, December 30th
My car was in the shop that morning for the better half of the day. Since I was blocks from the gym, it only made sense to me that I head there for another workout. I immediately suited up and went outside for an adrenaline ten miler jaunt to release the anger and tension from the night before. Upon returning to the gym, I proceeded to complete the following Crossfit WOD:
10 KB Swings
10 Pushups

10 Squats

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes
I accomplished six complete rounds and was very close to completing the seventh round by two squats by the time my alarm went off.

I then made the walk to pick up my car when the workout was complete. After spending some time at home, I had the urge to practise some yoga so off I went to Power Yoga Canada for another hit of the power vinyasa which was satisfying as usual.

New Year's Eve
While people were out at the clubs or house parties across the city, I decided to play Baptiste style into the New Year at Power Yoga Canada with other like-minded yogis. I was also in touch with Mike who was running the New Year's Eve 24H in North Carolina at the time. Upon arriving at the studio, I changed into my gear and sent Mike a few more messages of encouragement before setting my mat down.

Class began with a journalling exercise. We listed all our accomplishments for 2009 and our goals and intentions for 2010. After sharing some of our items, we put our stuff down and got into our practise. The practise was very playful and invigorating. I was a little on edge because I was very busy during the day and had arrived on my mat feeling a little tired. However, I noticed there was a shift. I noticed that as I got into the practise, I started feeling a lot better and I was feeling more relaxed. The edge I was feeling at the beginning was off and I was really enjoying the practise. The practise ended just in time to usher in the New Year. It was a joyous occasion when we all rose and shouted "Happy New Year!" The music was upbeat and we all had a blast for an hour, trading stories, dancing, and dabbling in fruit kabobs and drinks before we all headed home.

This is the way I wanted to end the year - doing the things I enjoy. Lorene had tried to get me to come out with her and her friends but I was not going to be swayed from this. Yoga is a part of my life that I hold a space for and that fact will not change.

Happy New Year to All and All the Best for Two Thousand and Zen!

No comments:

Post a Comment