I am not going to classify last week as highly exciting. Let's just say that I have slowly been keeping myself in check while trying to rebuild myself. It has not been easy, but I am slowly climbing out of the rut that has threatened to keep me down for the past little while.
Monday Night - 9.4Km Run + A Hot Yoga Attempt
I was determined to make it to the gym. I had a brisk outdoor run and a makeshift hot yoga session on the mind. After getting my gear together, I headed straight for the gym. As soon as I got there, I quickly changed and filled up my bottle before heading outside.
It was quite balmy out there. Within 20 minutes, I had to take off my jacket and pack it before strapping it around my waist. I felt pretty light and free as I was running along. In fact, towards the end of the run, I was on the receiving end of compliments from various people who thought I looked good. I simply smiled and sincerely thanked them. They had no idea what was going on in my mind, but it did not matter. What they saw and felt was the energy of me running along in my pink long-sleeved hooded shirt. I even had a moment where I was tempted to call myself "Pink Lightening" because I felt that energy.
Upon returning to the Y, I headed upstairs and did a light core set including faux kettlebell swings (using a dumbell because the Y does not have kettlebells) while standing on a BOSU, as well as some abdominal work. When that was completed, I headed downstairs where I showered and changed into sorts and a tank top. I had this idea of practising hot yoga in the steam room. The idea was a great concept, but in actuality, I will be doing a full practise in the sauna. It was great while the room was still warm. The problem was that because the steam room is on a timer, I constantly had to break the flow and push the button to maintain that warmth between blasts of steam. Also, the steam rising in your face is very uncomfortable. I found that I had to lower myself and was limited to postures where my head would be as close to the floor as possible, including Child's Pose. After gathering my composure in savasana, I left the steam room and cooled off for a bit before hitting the shower and getting ready to leave the facility.
Thursday - Ashtanga Night
I spent that entire day home. I was supposed to be out of town but my plans were changed by the receipt of an email message. Oh well... I needed the rest from work anyway. I had originally planned to visit the Crossfit gym to shock my body back into the mix before cooling off with some yoga but I settled for yoga alone instead.
I showed up at Kula and quickly put my mat down in the room. After changing and filling up my water bottle, I stepped onto my mat. For an hour and a half, I flowed and focused on my breath. I had to break the flow for a bit though because I realised that my mat was slipping with each movement and I had to put a mat underneath it to keep it steady. I believe I will have to thoroughly wash my mat in the bathtub and hang it to dry to restore it.
After completing the class, I had a chat with one of the girls there before heading home.
Sunday - Ujjayi Pulse
My mother was headed for the Whole Life Expo. Since I was still in town, I decided that I would go as well. Just before she went ahead to the show, at my request, she dropped me off at Downward Dog Yoga Centre. I was dying to get an Ujjayi Pulse fix. Ujjayi Pulse is an Ashtanga class based on the Primary Series. In this class, there is a live drummer beating a percussion drum. The drum beats serve to help us tune into our breath. Diane Bruni was not there that day but David Bruni did a great job filling in.
After almost two hours, I felt like a new person. I actually felt more open, almost like I was moving to a new level. Upon chatting with two other students who also do Ashtanga with me at Kula, I realised that by coming to this place, I felt like I was advancing more. Plans are in the works to mix up the studios I frequent and visit them all at given times to keep my practise more dynamic.
After the class, I met my mother at the Expo. This expo was basically like most trade shows. It targeted those who were into holistic and green living. I was not disappointed. First of all, due to a loophole in admission - buy a pass, show it at the door and get in - I was able to get in free simply by having my mother meet me outside the door and put her pass into my hand discreetly before we both entered. We simply played the part of two people on a rendezvous outside the door. I was not disappointed. I was able to score some miso paste, and roasted hemp hearts at a great deal. I also networked with a couple other vendors and got details on how to buy some items of interest in the near future. I also got a feng shui reading which was really insightful and interesting. The response that I got to some answers really blew me away. It was not intrusive like palm reading so I was game for it.
After leaving the show, I was dropped off at home. I realised that I had time to catch a movie screening in Hamilton at the De La Sol Yoga studio. "One" (http://www.theoneproject.com) was really interesting. It was a documentary about three ordinary guys who set out on a journey to get many different opinions on religion, the state of the world, and the meaning of life. This movie was definitely moving. I would definitely watch it over and over again. I'm now looking to get a copy of the DVD because I have friends who would be interested in viewing material about this.
So... That's my recap for the week that has passed. Like I said, there hasn't been too much going on activity wise. I realise that my unmotivated feelings will take time to shift. I do attribute part of this to the weather. We are now transitioning to colder temperatures, and less daylight... Some adjustment is in order.
Now that a new week has begun, my goal is to remain centred for this week. I will not try to rush into heavy activity during this time. I will go with the flow and see what happens from there...
Monday Night - 9.4Km Run + A Hot Yoga Attempt
I was determined to make it to the gym. I had a brisk outdoor run and a makeshift hot yoga session on the mind. After getting my gear together, I headed straight for the gym. As soon as I got there, I quickly changed and filled up my bottle before heading outside.
It was quite balmy out there. Within 20 minutes, I had to take off my jacket and pack it before strapping it around my waist. I felt pretty light and free as I was running along. In fact, towards the end of the run, I was on the receiving end of compliments from various people who thought I looked good. I simply smiled and sincerely thanked them. They had no idea what was going on in my mind, but it did not matter. What they saw and felt was the energy of me running along in my pink long-sleeved hooded shirt. I even had a moment where I was tempted to call myself "Pink Lightening" because I felt that energy.
Upon returning to the Y, I headed upstairs and did a light core set including faux kettlebell swings (using a dumbell because the Y does not have kettlebells) while standing on a BOSU, as well as some abdominal work. When that was completed, I headed downstairs where I showered and changed into sorts and a tank top. I had this idea of practising hot yoga in the steam room. The idea was a great concept, but in actuality, I will be doing a full practise in the sauna. It was great while the room was still warm. The problem was that because the steam room is on a timer, I constantly had to break the flow and push the button to maintain that warmth between blasts of steam. Also, the steam rising in your face is very uncomfortable. I found that I had to lower myself and was limited to postures where my head would be as close to the floor as possible, including Child's Pose. After gathering my composure in savasana, I left the steam room and cooled off for a bit before hitting the shower and getting ready to leave the facility.
Thursday - Ashtanga Night
I spent that entire day home. I was supposed to be out of town but my plans were changed by the receipt of an email message. Oh well... I needed the rest from work anyway. I had originally planned to visit the Crossfit gym to shock my body back into the mix before cooling off with some yoga but I settled for yoga alone instead.
I showed up at Kula and quickly put my mat down in the room. After changing and filling up my water bottle, I stepped onto my mat. For an hour and a half, I flowed and focused on my breath. I had to break the flow for a bit though because I realised that my mat was slipping with each movement and I had to put a mat underneath it to keep it steady. I believe I will have to thoroughly wash my mat in the bathtub and hang it to dry to restore it.
After completing the class, I had a chat with one of the girls there before heading home.
Sunday - Ujjayi Pulse
My mother was headed for the Whole Life Expo. Since I was still in town, I decided that I would go as well. Just before she went ahead to the show, at my request, she dropped me off at Downward Dog Yoga Centre. I was dying to get an Ujjayi Pulse fix. Ujjayi Pulse is an Ashtanga class based on the Primary Series. In this class, there is a live drummer beating a percussion drum. The drum beats serve to help us tune into our breath. Diane Bruni was not there that day but David Bruni did a great job filling in.
After almost two hours, I felt like a new person. I actually felt more open, almost like I was moving to a new level. Upon chatting with two other students who also do Ashtanga with me at Kula, I realised that by coming to this place, I felt like I was advancing more. Plans are in the works to mix up the studios I frequent and visit them all at given times to keep my practise more dynamic.
After the class, I met my mother at the Expo. This expo was basically like most trade shows. It targeted those who were into holistic and green living. I was not disappointed. First of all, due to a loophole in admission - buy a pass, show it at the door and get in - I was able to get in free simply by having my mother meet me outside the door and put her pass into my hand discreetly before we both entered. We simply played the part of two people on a rendezvous outside the door. I was not disappointed. I was able to score some miso paste, and roasted hemp hearts at a great deal. I also networked with a couple other vendors and got details on how to buy some items of interest in the near future. I also got a feng shui reading which was really insightful and interesting. The response that I got to some answers really blew me away. It was not intrusive like palm reading so I was game for it.
After leaving the show, I was dropped off at home. I realised that I had time to catch a movie screening in Hamilton at the De La Sol Yoga studio. "One" (http://www.theoneproject.com) was really interesting. It was a documentary about three ordinary guys who set out on a journey to get many different opinions on religion, the state of the world, and the meaning of life. This movie was definitely moving. I would definitely watch it over and over again. I'm now looking to get a copy of the DVD because I have friends who would be interested in viewing material about this.
So... That's my recap for the week that has passed. Like I said, there hasn't been too much going on activity wise. I realise that my unmotivated feelings will take time to shift. I do attribute part of this to the weather. We are now transitioning to colder temperatures, and less daylight... Some adjustment is in order.
Now that a new week has begun, my goal is to remain centred for this week. I will not try to rush into heavy activity during this time. I will go with the flow and see what happens from there...
No comments:
Post a Comment