The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The 2009 MS Society Volunteer Appreciation Event

This evening, I left the office and walked in the light rain for about 45 minutes. Normally, I would be hustling for 25 to 30 minutes trying to catch the train to head for home. This evening was different...

This evening marked the 11th Annual Volunteer Appreciation event for the MS Society. It is an evening where all the event volunteers for the MS Society get together and share stories from the past year for all the fundraising events. It is also the time when the achievements and milestones of the volunteers are recognised.

Upon my arrival, I was fortunate enough to meet up with Giselle. Giselle immediately told me that Arlyne was also there as they arrived together. The three of us volunteer together for the RBC MS Golf Tournament which is held every June. We immediately secured a table and mingled with all the other volunteers there. I also connected with the RONA MS Bike Tours committee members who I work with during the winter and spring to assist in the planning of the Bike Tours. They had their dinner last week but I was not in attendance as I was out of town that night. We all had a great time as we reminisced about the previous summer at the Bike Tours - even talking a little about the future of the tours as there are some changes that will be coming for next summer. The event was also used as a fundraiser as there was a silent auction in progress, along with balloon bursts.


The major highlight of the evening is always during the awards presentation and speeches. The speeches are usually presented by different volunteers and ambassadors for the MS Society. Tonight, we heard a really good speech from a university student who is currently living with MS. The speech was really moving as she painted a vivid portrait of how she has had to cope with MS since her diagnosis. Giselle, who was really in a cheering spirit during the awards presentation, got really emotional. The energy created by this event really moves her emotionally. It takes a strong hug to really keep her grounded and I have always been willing to give her a hug as I really love the power of a good hug myself.


After the event wrapped up, we all mingled for a bit before dispersing with promises to meet again at all our preferred events.


Some of my friends I
volunteer with...



No comments:

Post a Comment