The video below catches the essence of the RONA MS Bike Tours. This charitable event strives to raise funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada. A great time was truly had by all who participated in this event.
This year, I had the honour of sitting on the organising committee for this event. It is definitely an eye-opener to the amount of work it takes to put together a fund-raiser of this magnitude. As I have done in previous years, I have come out for the events of the last couple of weeks to lend a hand.
This year, with the magnitude of my running, I have decided to stay off the saddle and volunteer driving the SAG vehicle for the duration of the event. As usual, I had a ball, reconnecting with my team members on the team "Are We There Yet?!", the tour leaders I have worked with, including Mac, Paul, Cary and others. I have also reconnected with the volunteers that I have worked with since 2000 including Dilip, Mike G., Dena, Chris, Bill, and the Peers - Bruce, Scott, and Florence.
As usual, the event never fails to disappoint. As I have stated at the beginning of this post, a great time was had by all who participated in the tours I volunteered at - Brampton to Waterloo, and Niagara. It is inspiring to see some of the participants - of all levels - raise pledges and ride up to 100km for the day for this cause. Some people are connected to people with MS, and some are just passionate about the cause on a whole. I am also continually inspired by the MS Ambassador, Mike Augustine. Mike goes to most of the tours and battles the heat (very difficult for someone with MS to do) for the day waiting for the riders to come in. As they ride in, he offers them his hand for the high five. Mike announced at the dinner in Waterloo that he is currently putting his money where his mouth is and training to conquer Mt. Everest with his wheelchair... Now how inspiring is that?
I am now marking my calendars for next year's events and look forward to many more years of being an active volunteer with the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.
This year, I had the honour of sitting on the organising committee for this event. It is definitely an eye-opener to the amount of work it takes to put together a fund-raiser of this magnitude. As I have done in previous years, I have come out for the events of the last couple of weeks to lend a hand.
This year, with the magnitude of my running, I have decided to stay off the saddle and volunteer driving the SAG vehicle for the duration of the event. As usual, I had a ball, reconnecting with my team members on the team "Are We There Yet?!", the tour leaders I have worked with, including Mac, Paul, Cary and others. I have also reconnected with the volunteers that I have worked with since 2000 including Dilip, Mike G., Dena, Chris, Bill, and the Peers - Bruce, Scott, and Florence.
As usual, the event never fails to disappoint. As I have stated at the beginning of this post, a great time was had by all who participated in the tours I volunteered at - Brampton to Waterloo, and Niagara. It is inspiring to see some of the participants - of all levels - raise pledges and ride up to 100km for the day for this cause. Some people are connected to people with MS, and some are just passionate about the cause on a whole. I am also continually inspired by the MS Ambassador, Mike Augustine. Mike goes to most of the tours and battles the heat (very difficult for someone with MS to do) for the day waiting for the riders to come in. As they ride in, he offers them his hand for the high five. Mike announced at the dinner in Waterloo that he is currently putting his money where his mouth is and training to conquer Mt. Everest with his wheelchair... Now how inspiring is that?
I am now marking my calendars for next year's events and look forward to many more years of being an active volunteer with the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.
No comments:
Post a Comment