On May 23rd at 6h00, I started a new adventure. For the first time, I took on the 100 miler. Except for the mid-afternoon heat, the weather was perfect. Even the night time temperature was not too cold.
On Friday afternoon, after spending most of the morning gathering all of my gear and packing them in the car, I headed out to Ancaster. I arrived at the race venue with time to pick up my race kit and pitch my tent before the pre-race dinner. I enthusiastically pulled some stuff out of the car and proceeded to walk over to the field where we could pitch our tents. When I started unloading the stuff, I realised something - what I thought was my tent turned out to be my tarp... oops... I had forgotten that I had moved the tent to a roomier stuff sack and used the original sack to store my tarp in the car. The irony was that I picked up the sack with all my pegs saying to myself that I will not forget the pegs. All was not lost. It turned out that a couple of runners were pitching their tents and leaving them overnight as they were heading home, or to a motel for the night before the race. Kinga and Stephan were one of them. After I hedged and was about to suck it up and make room in the car to sleep, Kinga insisted that I use their tent for the night. Fred was also there and he allowed me to store all my race gear in his tent in the morning.
The pre-race dinner went really well. We had the typical pasta fare with salad, garlic bread, and dessert. During the dinner, we also got a chance to score Hammer product samples that were deposited on each table. There were Endurolytes and Heed packets by the plenty for the taking. Dinner was the chance where we got to chat with the runners, listen to the race director's ramble, and of course... eat! Flo was at the dinner without Fred, who was sleeping in his tent. Flo broke the news to me that Fred has been rundown since the Sri Chinmoy Ten Day Run. Fred had lost some weight in the process and was not up to par for the race. After the dinner, I stopped off at Walmart to pick up a couple minor supplies before heading back to the venue to get ready for the next morning. After chatting for about an hour, most of us retired to our tents to get some sleep. I had a lot of trouble sleeping because of the background noise. There were times when I was able to sleep a little deeper with limited success.
The next morning, my alarm went off at 4h30. I had no trouble waking up. I headed straight to the washrooms and started getting ready for the race. After that, I moved all my gear to Fred's tent and filled my hydration pack. I also devoured a flourless cashew butter cookie before the start. The race started promptly at 6h00. It was definitely a good start. The air was still and we all started pretty quick...
Loop 1 - Equipment Malfunction
Less than 2K into the loop, I realised my back was getting wet. Couldn't be! My hydration pack was leaking! The bladder in the pack is brand new. When I got to the first aid station, Jeff Simpson, one of the people manning the aid station, immediately found a shopping bag to put the bladder in until I can get back to the start/finish area to switch it out for my bottles. Unfortunately, the bladder was still leaking fast and furious and I was beginning to feel uncomfortable. For one thing, my back was so wet that I couldn't keep the pack on my back and carried it part way. For another, the cookie I had was too heavy (tofu was used to hold it together) and I was fighting to digest it without puking.
Lee-Anne, who was running with Jennifer, caught up to me as I was beginning to panic. She immediately offered me one of her water bottles which was sitting at the aid station and ran ahead to let her boyfriend, Mike, know that I would be collecting the bottle on my way through. It was the same aid station we came through the first time and it was also the halfway point in the loop. Once the bottle was collected, I took the pack off and left it there. I no longer needed to carry it. I was then able to complete the loop.
After returning to the start/finish line, I quickly grabbed a change of clothes and changed out of the wet clothes before heading out for the second loop.
Loop 2 - Doh! A Deer!
I started off the second loop with Rick and Gavin. We were all pleased that it took us less than two and a half hours to finish the first loop. We settled into a run/walk routine for much of this loop. The trail was a lot more crowded now that the 25K and 50K runners had started their race. We saw some of our other friends out there who were doing the shorter races and we greeted each other accordingly.
After leaving the second aid station, I started lagging behind Rick and Gavin. I was at the point where I wanted to start doing my own thing. I was feeling good and Rick talked too much anyway. Heading back to the Gatehouse aid station, I heard some footsteps behind me. When I turned around, there was this young deer coming up not too far behind me. "Oh! Deer!" When I turned around and spoke, it stopped where it was and looked at me. I just had to take a minute to admire the beauty of this creature before it turned around and went back into the woods. I continued on for the rest of this loop with fond memories of this sight.
Upon returning to the start/finish line, Rick and Gavin were there checking their feet and refuelling. I followed suit by filling up on some Vega with chocolate almond milk. Rick wanted me to wait around while Gavin fiddled with his feet but Charlotte kicked me out.
Loop 3 - Getting in the Groove
With Rick and Gavin out of the picture for the timebeing, I settled into this loop. I was happy because I was feeling comfortable and the discomfort from the first loop was just a distant memory. I also took some ibuprofen to keep me going and periodically stretched on some of the hills. Arriving at the gatehouse, I met up with Greg who was 10K away from completing the 50K. He expressed sadness that he would not be running a lap with me. We wished each other luck and parted ways.
I realised that I was starting to develop a routine for each aid station. At the second aid station, I started using the portapottie. After that, I would reach for their wetnaps and food before setting off. This would happen every loop for the rest of the race.
Leaving the aid station, Laurie McGrath snuck up on me. She was finishing up her 50 miler as the first female. She encouraged me to keep at it. We both knew that I was running really well thus far and she told me not to push for a 50M PB but to just let it come.
Rick caught up to me just before I hit the switchback heading towards the gatehouse. He had waited for Gavin for ten minutes after I left to start the loop and he was starting to lag. He ran with me for a bit before picking up the pace. After he left, I was on my own for the rest of the loop.
Heading back towards the start/finish line after completing the Headwaters loop. I ran into Helen and Howard who were on their way to completing the 50K race together. After some banter, we parted in our respective directions.
After completing this loop, I quickly refuelled at the start/finish line before setting off again.
Loop 4 - 50 Mile PB
This loop was as smooth as the last one. The only drawback was the afternoon heat which was getting to me since the last loop. The gatehouse folks had a special treat for us - Freezies! They definitely hit the spot for me... The trail was starting to become really quiet as all the other shorter distance runners were finishing up. Towards the end of this loop, I met up with Jim Glen who was finishing up his 50M race. We walked together for a bit and caught up on our outside lives until the gulch where I picked it up at the top of the hill. We also counted three deer frolicking in the woods.
There was also a Gavin sighting - As I was coming towards Dieter's on the way back to the start/finish, Gavin was sitting on a chair looking a little green. Gavin was being plagued by stomach problems and was trying to keep it under control. We knew that Gavin was going to have to get it together somehow...
11:19 was my 50M time which was also a PB for the distance overall. Wow, I felt really great. Helen was on hand to help me refuel and I took some more ibuprofen before heading out for the fifth loop.
Loop 5 - ...
No real incident here... The temperature started cooling down which really helped. Heading for the gatehouse on the way out, I saw Fred slowly heading in to finish his race. He was in good spirits as usual as we greeted each other.
The return to the start/finish line was the time to put on some warm clothing and grab my lights as it was starting to get dark out. Sharon also checked my feet at my request because they were beginning to feel quite hot. No blisters were to be found. After re-applying the lube and changing my socks, I was off.
Loop 6 - The Start of the Emotional Roller Coaster
I started this loop with grit. I just wanted to get it in quickly. As darkness hit, I started slowing down. There was some pain setting in as well. I worked to catch up to Adi and walk with her and another runner but at that point, I was starting to feel really low and started falling behind quick. My appetite was diminishing and I did not want to drink anymore Heed from my bottle. When I was marching up the road after leaving the gatehouse, Monica was heading into the gatehouse. I'm not sure how she did it but she immediately picked up on the fact that I was not particularly cheerful. I felt bad for spreading the negative vibe but it could not be helped. When I got to the aid station at the top of the Headwaters loop, I sat on a chair and just wanted to cry. I was so sleepy at this point. It was comforting to know that they were listening to 91.1 Jazz FM on the radio. The blues set was wrapping up at that moment. After about 10 minutes, I was on my way to completing the last 5K of this loop. I was stiffening up and trying to stay awake. A family of racoons startled me when they were climbing a tree. I pretty much cussed when I saw that and yelled at them to move. All they did was look at me as I passed. Racoon count thus far... 4...
After arriving back at the aid station, I used the washroom and proceeded to stretch. I knew I had to get out there but I was so sleepy as I stared off into darkness... Sharon saved me at that point. She pulled out her air mattress and settled me down on it inside the building where it was warm and told me to take a nap. She then woke me up 20 minutes later. It was just what I needed. After using the washroom and heading outside, I grabbed my jacket so that I wouldn't get hypothermia from being inside a warm building and then starting off in the coolness of the night. Kinga was at the start/finish by the time I was ready to go back out. We then decided to stick together for as much of the remainder of the race as possible.
Loop 7 - Looking Forward to Twilight
This was a tough loop for both Kinga and I. We were both facing our inner demons as we were fighting to get through the final 25 miles. Monica and John Turner lapped us as soon as we left for this loop. Monica cheered us up by saying "You have less than a marathon to go... anyone can run a marathon..." before setting off to complete her final loop.
Kinga and I both found that we had to pee a lot during this loop. It was an emotional fight, and we were both physically hurting with each step, and each hill. On the way to the second aid station, our headlamps brushed upon several pairs of eyes. Deer! lots of deer! My count was now 14 deer. They were all lying in the grass watching us go by. Heading back to the gatehouse, Rick started coming up behind us. He too was on his final loop. He started chatting just like the chatty boy that he is. Kinga and I kind of poked fun at him more so that we can start laughing and having fun. He was gone again when decided to tag along with another runner for the last 10K.
Twilight started coming up as we were heading to the top of the Headwaters loop. I turned off my second light, and soon after, my headlamp. When we got to the top, I also took my jacket off and left that, and the second light at the aid station. Heading back to Dieter's and the start/finish line, Kinga and I saw Ron heading in to do the Headwaters loop before finishing. With him was Charlotte who was pacing him. Charlotte had no mercy, she started hustling him, telling him to look at us. Ron shuffled by and muttered "Ow, ow, ow..." as he passed.
We arrived back at the start/finish line where we quickly used the washroom, ditched our lights, and prepared to set off for the final 20K. I also changed into a lighter long sleeved top so that I wouldn't overheat.
Loop 8 - The Final Loop
Kinga and I set off. We were both in pain and tired. The battle was still being fought with our inner selves. We had highs and lows during this loop. Just before the gatehouse, Frank passed us. He had started the race really slow and he looked like he just started the race. He was a welcome sight as we let him pass. At the gatehouse, Kinga and I allowed ourselves to sit down for two minutes. The aid personnel were quite wonderful. One of the ladies even rubbed my back for me which was quite soothing. When we got up, I almost teared up.
The final push was on. At the second aid station, I used the portapottie for the final time. My hydration had to be good if I was peeing every loop. John Rennison and Phil caught up to us and invited us to join them to the finish. I was in such a mental state, I started lagging behind once again, even as Kinga was yelling at me to hurry up. Upon returning to the gatehouse, Jeff Simpson was there to give me the hug that I desperately needed and wanted. He then sent one of the student relay members, Ryan, to run with me for the final 10K.
Ryan was a godsend! Ryan walked with me when I need to walked, and ran with me when I needed to run. Heading out to Martin Road and Dieter's station, I had another surprise waiting for me - Fred! Fred came out to walk with me as well. Fred then told me that he was waiting for me to wake him up all night. I did not know this. As I stated earlier, Fred was not feeling well and only did the 50M race. I was not about to wake him in his condition. Fred tagged along with us until we got past Dieter's and then he headed back to the start/finish.
Ryan and I were on a mission - pick Rennison off... It was doable and it was done. We caught up to John and his pacer as were heading up the hill towards the aid station at the top. Once we got there, John kneeled on the ground and started puking. This was my chance to get away. It was mostly down hill as we headed back to Dieter's. The final 5K... The finish was so near... I was careful on the hill heading down for this part.
As we were heading out, we saw Gavin heading in. As I proclaimed to Gavin that we were both gonna finish, he called out "By the Grace of God!" Now I was truly revived. We got to Dieter's aid station where I noticed that there were two other runners in front. They were the runners who picked me off while I was napping earlier. Now I got them back. They were surprised to see me as I ran by and greeted them with encouragement.
The final hill was the gulch. It was the final time up the hill for this event, and the final time ever. Next year, the conservation authority will be closing this hill due to erosion, meaning that the course will change significantly. Once I made it to the top of the gulch, I made my intentions known to Ryan - I am going to give it my all coming down that hill and gun it home once I made it to the bottom. Heading down, I picked off Frank. My objection was to keep Rennison behind me. I yelled that I wanted Rennison beat as I was on the final stretch home.
Once I saw the finish line, I ran in with no mercy, with everything I had left in me. 28:11 was the time on the clock. I finished my first 100M run... It was a party finish with five of us coming in within minutes of each other. Gavin was the last guy in at 28:53.

Kinga, Stephan, and I celebrated the fact that we held up our end of the 100M pact. The hugs were going around between us and all the other runners and volunteers out there. Flo was extremely camera happy and she quickly snapped several pics of me. We were all physically exhausted, but we were so happy.


Before heading home, I crashed under the shade for a bit before joining Rick and Gavin and chatting with them. We then went for lunch in town before I headed home. The drive home was difficult. I had to fight to stay awake part of the way home. However, I made it home with no incident and rolled myself out of the car and into the house where I soaked in epsom salts and then crashed in bed with memories of how I earned my first belt buckle, fresh in my mind...
I am grateful to all my fellow running friends, race crew and volunteers who have made this report possible. A great time was had by all. As I get through my aches and pains and work to recover from 28 hours of effort, I always remember what got me to the start, and what made me finish. As ultrarunners, we are all out there for each other. I am constantly reminded of this when we all meet for another run. In fact, part of the night, I found myself dearly missing the ones that could not be there to join in the fun. The support that was selflessly offered was exceptional.
At the finish, I said "Don't ask... Don't tell..." when I was asked "So when's the next one?" Right now, I am sifting through what I have learned from this event so that I can prepare for the next challenge. More on this will come later.
The final animal count is as follows: 14 Deer, 5 Horses, 4 Racoons
On Friday afternoon, after spending most of the morning gathering all of my gear and packing them in the car, I headed out to Ancaster. I arrived at the race venue with time to pick up my race kit and pitch my tent before the pre-race dinner. I enthusiastically pulled some stuff out of the car and proceeded to walk over to the field where we could pitch our tents. When I started unloading the stuff, I realised something - what I thought was my tent turned out to be my tarp... oops... I had forgotten that I had moved the tent to a roomier stuff sack and used the original sack to store my tarp in the car. The irony was that I picked up the sack with all my pegs saying to myself that I will not forget the pegs. All was not lost. It turned out that a couple of runners were pitching their tents and leaving them overnight as they were heading home, or to a motel for the night before the race. Kinga and Stephan were one of them. After I hedged and was about to suck it up and make room in the car to sleep, Kinga insisted that I use their tent for the night. Fred was also there and he allowed me to store all my race gear in his tent in the morning.
The pre-race dinner went really well. We had the typical pasta fare with salad, garlic bread, and dessert. During the dinner, we also got a chance to score Hammer product samples that were deposited on each table. There were Endurolytes and Heed packets by the plenty for the taking. Dinner was the chance where we got to chat with the runners, listen to the race director's ramble, and of course... eat! Flo was at the dinner without Fred, who was sleeping in his tent. Flo broke the news to me that Fred has been rundown since the Sri Chinmoy Ten Day Run. Fred had lost some weight in the process and was not up to par for the race. After the dinner, I stopped off at Walmart to pick up a couple minor supplies before heading back to the venue to get ready for the next morning. After chatting for about an hour, most of us retired to our tents to get some sleep. I had a lot of trouble sleeping because of the background noise. There were times when I was able to sleep a little deeper with limited success.
The next morning, my alarm went off at 4h30. I had no trouble waking up. I headed straight to the washrooms and started getting ready for the race. After that, I moved all my gear to Fred's tent and filled my hydration pack. I also devoured a flourless cashew butter cookie before the start. The race started promptly at 6h00. It was definitely a good start. The air was still and we all started pretty quick...
Loop 1 - Equipment Malfunction
Less than 2K into the loop, I realised my back was getting wet. Couldn't be! My hydration pack was leaking! The bladder in the pack is brand new. When I got to the first aid station, Jeff Simpson, one of the people manning the aid station, immediately found a shopping bag to put the bladder in until I can get back to the start/finish area to switch it out for my bottles. Unfortunately, the bladder was still leaking fast and furious and I was beginning to feel uncomfortable. For one thing, my back was so wet that I couldn't keep the pack on my back and carried it part way. For another, the cookie I had was too heavy (tofu was used to hold it together) and I was fighting to digest it without puking.
Lee-Anne, who was running with Jennifer, caught up to me as I was beginning to panic. She immediately offered me one of her water bottles which was sitting at the aid station and ran ahead to let her boyfriend, Mike, know that I would be collecting the bottle on my way through. It was the same aid station we came through the first time and it was also the halfway point in the loop. Once the bottle was collected, I took the pack off and left it there. I no longer needed to carry it. I was then able to complete the loop.
After returning to the start/finish line, I quickly grabbed a change of clothes and changed out of the wet clothes before heading out for the second loop.
Loop 2 - Doh! A Deer!
I started off the second loop with Rick and Gavin. We were all pleased that it took us less than two and a half hours to finish the first loop. We settled into a run/walk routine for much of this loop. The trail was a lot more crowded now that the 25K and 50K runners had started their race. We saw some of our other friends out there who were doing the shorter races and we greeted each other accordingly.
After leaving the second aid station, I started lagging behind Rick and Gavin. I was at the point where I wanted to start doing my own thing. I was feeling good and Rick talked too much anyway. Heading back to the Gatehouse aid station, I heard some footsteps behind me. When I turned around, there was this young deer coming up not too far behind me. "Oh! Deer!" When I turned around and spoke, it stopped where it was and looked at me. I just had to take a minute to admire the beauty of this creature before it turned around and went back into the woods. I continued on for the rest of this loop with fond memories of this sight.
Upon returning to the start/finish line, Rick and Gavin were there checking their feet and refuelling. I followed suit by filling up on some Vega with chocolate almond milk. Rick wanted me to wait around while Gavin fiddled with his feet but Charlotte kicked me out.
Loop 3 - Getting in the Groove
With Rick and Gavin out of the picture for the timebeing, I settled into this loop. I was happy because I was feeling comfortable and the discomfort from the first loop was just a distant memory. I also took some ibuprofen to keep me going and periodically stretched on some of the hills. Arriving at the gatehouse, I met up with Greg who was 10K away from completing the 50K. He expressed sadness that he would not be running a lap with me. We wished each other luck and parted ways.
I realised that I was starting to develop a routine for each aid station. At the second aid station, I started using the portapottie. After that, I would reach for their wetnaps and food before setting off. This would happen every loop for the rest of the race.
Leaving the aid station, Laurie McGrath snuck up on me. She was finishing up her 50 miler as the first female. She encouraged me to keep at it. We both knew that I was running really well thus far and she told me not to push for a 50M PB but to just let it come.
Rick caught up to me just before I hit the switchback heading towards the gatehouse. He had waited for Gavin for ten minutes after I left to start the loop and he was starting to lag. He ran with me for a bit before picking up the pace. After he left, I was on my own for the rest of the loop.
Heading back towards the start/finish line after completing the Headwaters loop. I ran into Helen and Howard who were on their way to completing the 50K race together. After some banter, we parted in our respective directions.
After completing this loop, I quickly refuelled at the start/finish line before setting off again.
Loop 4 - 50 Mile PB
This loop was as smooth as the last one. The only drawback was the afternoon heat which was getting to me since the last loop. The gatehouse folks had a special treat for us - Freezies! They definitely hit the spot for me... The trail was starting to become really quiet as all the other shorter distance runners were finishing up. Towards the end of this loop, I met up with Jim Glen who was finishing up his 50M race. We walked together for a bit and caught up on our outside lives until the gulch where I picked it up at the top of the hill. We also counted three deer frolicking in the woods.
There was also a Gavin sighting - As I was coming towards Dieter's on the way back to the start/finish, Gavin was sitting on a chair looking a little green. Gavin was being plagued by stomach problems and was trying to keep it under control. We knew that Gavin was going to have to get it together somehow...
11:19 was my 50M time which was also a PB for the distance overall. Wow, I felt really great. Helen was on hand to help me refuel and I took some more ibuprofen before heading out for the fifth loop.
Loop 5 - ...
No real incident here... The temperature started cooling down which really helped. Heading for the gatehouse on the way out, I saw Fred slowly heading in to finish his race. He was in good spirits as usual as we greeted each other.
The return to the start/finish line was the time to put on some warm clothing and grab my lights as it was starting to get dark out. Sharon also checked my feet at my request because they were beginning to feel quite hot. No blisters were to be found. After re-applying the lube and changing my socks, I was off.
Loop 6 - The Start of the Emotional Roller Coaster
I started this loop with grit. I just wanted to get it in quickly. As darkness hit, I started slowing down. There was some pain setting in as well. I worked to catch up to Adi and walk with her and another runner but at that point, I was starting to feel really low and started falling behind quick. My appetite was diminishing and I did not want to drink anymore Heed from my bottle. When I was marching up the road after leaving the gatehouse, Monica was heading into the gatehouse. I'm not sure how she did it but she immediately picked up on the fact that I was not particularly cheerful. I felt bad for spreading the negative vibe but it could not be helped. When I got to the aid station at the top of the Headwaters loop, I sat on a chair and just wanted to cry. I was so sleepy at this point. It was comforting to know that they were listening to 91.1 Jazz FM on the radio. The blues set was wrapping up at that moment. After about 10 minutes, I was on my way to completing the last 5K of this loop. I was stiffening up and trying to stay awake. A family of racoons startled me when they were climbing a tree. I pretty much cussed when I saw that and yelled at them to move. All they did was look at me as I passed. Racoon count thus far... 4...
After arriving back at the aid station, I used the washroom and proceeded to stretch. I knew I had to get out there but I was so sleepy as I stared off into darkness... Sharon saved me at that point. She pulled out her air mattress and settled me down on it inside the building where it was warm and told me to take a nap. She then woke me up 20 minutes later. It was just what I needed. After using the washroom and heading outside, I grabbed my jacket so that I wouldn't get hypothermia from being inside a warm building and then starting off in the coolness of the night. Kinga was at the start/finish by the time I was ready to go back out. We then decided to stick together for as much of the remainder of the race as possible.
Loop 7 - Looking Forward to Twilight
This was a tough loop for both Kinga and I. We were both facing our inner demons as we were fighting to get through the final 25 miles. Monica and John Turner lapped us as soon as we left for this loop. Monica cheered us up by saying "You have less than a marathon to go... anyone can run a marathon..." before setting off to complete her final loop.
Kinga and I both found that we had to pee a lot during this loop. It was an emotional fight, and we were both physically hurting with each step, and each hill. On the way to the second aid station, our headlamps brushed upon several pairs of eyes. Deer! lots of deer! My count was now 14 deer. They were all lying in the grass watching us go by. Heading back to the gatehouse, Rick started coming up behind us. He too was on his final loop. He started chatting just like the chatty boy that he is. Kinga and I kind of poked fun at him more so that we can start laughing and having fun. He was gone again when decided to tag along with another runner for the last 10K.
Twilight started coming up as we were heading to the top of the Headwaters loop. I turned off my second light, and soon after, my headlamp. When we got to the top, I also took my jacket off and left that, and the second light at the aid station. Heading back to Dieter's and the start/finish line, Kinga and I saw Ron heading in to do the Headwaters loop before finishing. With him was Charlotte who was pacing him. Charlotte had no mercy, she started hustling him, telling him to look at us. Ron shuffled by and muttered "Ow, ow, ow..." as he passed.
We arrived back at the start/finish line where we quickly used the washroom, ditched our lights, and prepared to set off for the final 20K. I also changed into a lighter long sleeved top so that I wouldn't overheat.
Loop 8 - The Final Loop
Kinga and I set off. We were both in pain and tired. The battle was still being fought with our inner selves. We had highs and lows during this loop. Just before the gatehouse, Frank passed us. He had started the race really slow and he looked like he just started the race. He was a welcome sight as we let him pass. At the gatehouse, Kinga and I allowed ourselves to sit down for two minutes. The aid personnel were quite wonderful. One of the ladies even rubbed my back for me which was quite soothing. When we got up, I almost teared up.
The final push was on. At the second aid station, I used the portapottie for the final time. My hydration had to be good if I was peeing every loop. John Rennison and Phil caught up to us and invited us to join them to the finish. I was in such a mental state, I started lagging behind once again, even as Kinga was yelling at me to hurry up. Upon returning to the gatehouse, Jeff Simpson was there to give me the hug that I desperately needed and wanted. He then sent one of the student relay members, Ryan, to run with me for the final 10K.
Ryan was a godsend! Ryan walked with me when I need to walked, and ran with me when I needed to run. Heading out to Martin Road and Dieter's station, I had another surprise waiting for me - Fred! Fred came out to walk with me as well. Fred then told me that he was waiting for me to wake him up all night. I did not know this. As I stated earlier, Fred was not feeling well and only did the 50M race. I was not about to wake him in his condition. Fred tagged along with us until we got past Dieter's and then he headed back to the start/finish.
Ryan and I were on a mission - pick Rennison off... It was doable and it was done. We caught up to John and his pacer as were heading up the hill towards the aid station at the top. Once we got there, John kneeled on the ground and started puking. This was my chance to get away. It was mostly down hill as we headed back to Dieter's. The final 5K... The finish was so near... I was careful on the hill heading down for this part.
As we were heading out, we saw Gavin heading in. As I proclaimed to Gavin that we were both gonna finish, he called out "By the Grace of God!" Now I was truly revived. We got to Dieter's aid station where I noticed that there were two other runners in front. They were the runners who picked me off while I was napping earlier. Now I got them back. They were surprised to see me as I ran by and greeted them with encouragement.
The final hill was the gulch. It was the final time up the hill for this event, and the final time ever. Next year, the conservation authority will be closing this hill due to erosion, meaning that the course will change significantly. Once I made it to the top of the gulch, I made my intentions known to Ryan - I am going to give it my all coming down that hill and gun it home once I made it to the bottom. Heading down, I picked off Frank. My objection was to keep Rennison behind me. I yelled that I wanted Rennison beat as I was on the final stretch home.
Once I saw the finish line, I ran in with no mercy, with everything I had left in me. 28:11 was the time on the clock. I finished my first 100M run... It was a party finish with five of us coming in within minutes of each other. Gavin was the last guy in at 28:53.

Kinga, Stephan, and I celebrated the fact that we held up our end of the 100M pact. The hugs were going around between us and all the other runners and volunteers out there. Flo was extremely camera happy and she quickly snapped several pics of me. We were all physically exhausted, but we were so happy.


Before heading home, I crashed under the shade for a bit before joining Rick and Gavin and chatting with them. We then went for lunch in town before I headed home. The drive home was difficult. I had to fight to stay awake part of the way home. However, I made it home with no incident and rolled myself out of the car and into the house where I soaked in epsom salts and then crashed in bed with memories of how I earned my first belt buckle, fresh in my mind...
I am grateful to all my fellow running friends, race crew and volunteers who have made this report possible. A great time was had by all. As I get through my aches and pains and work to recover from 28 hours of effort, I always remember what got me to the start, and what made me finish. As ultrarunners, we are all out there for each other. I am constantly reminded of this when we all meet for another run. In fact, part of the night, I found myself dearly missing the ones that could not be there to join in the fun. The support that was selflessly offered was exceptional.
At the finish, I said "Don't ask... Don't tell..." when I was asked "So when's the next one?" Right now, I am sifting through what I have learned from this event so that I can prepare for the next challenge. More on this will come later.
The final animal count is as follows: 14 Deer, 5 Horses, 4 Racoons
Awesome Gailanne...really awesome
ReplyDeleteYou rocked it!
ReplyDelete