The Notable Quotable

"A cloud does not put out the sun..."

~ A Course in Miracles

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ashtanga Yoga and Meditative Thoughts


I made it out to Ashtanga Yoga this evening as planned. As usual, Grant really had a good class going. Other than having to modify some of the postures to accommodate a sore neck and prevent further injury, I had a really good class - From the Sun Salutations to the final Savasana...

There is a new ritual I take part in after Grant's class on a Thursday evening - 30 minutes of silent meditation. After class is finished, a group of us, including Grant, quickly exit the room to take care of any necessary details for personal comfort, and then return to the room 15 minutes later to settle in on the floor. Grant then set an alarm clock for 30 minutes and we simply meditate for 30 minutes...

Tonight, I was actually more relaxed. I found that I was getting better at sitting on the floor for longer periods without becoming too fidgety. My goal tonight was to focus on my breathing. Now, with meditation, breathing is the primary focus. Anything in your mind comes last. In fact, it is ideal to let go of any thoughts where possible. Does that come easy? Not necessarily... I have found myself thinking about things that have come up during the past few days. It was interesting... it was like I was trying to solve the world's problems from the very floor I was sitting on... Right now, I am happy to see that I am starting to become more comfortable with the process of meditation. I found that while I did have things on my mind, my mind was not racing like it used to.

I left Kula feeling light, after the class and the meditation. In spite of the physical aches and pains, I know that yoga is where I want to be. I credit yoga for helping me become the runner I am today. Yoga has helped to keep my body limber and my mind clear. In fact, many athletes are turning to many styles of yoga to help achieve physical and mental balance. The benefits of yoga are quite numerous...

Namaste...

No comments:

Post a Comment